Cauliflower may not have been your first favorite vegetable, but it may become the star of your spring meals after you learn more about its remarkable nutritional & health benefits.
- Cauliflower is rich in healthy vitamins and minerals, including beta-carotene, lutein, and vitamins C, E, and K; and folate.
- One serving of cauliflower contains 75 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C.
- Cauliflower is a good source of choline, a B vitamin that aids in brain development and may improve cognitive abilities and prevent against age-related memory loss.
- Importantly, cauliflower is a cancer-fighting food. It contains sulfur-containing chemicals called glucosinolates. During digestion, glucosinolates form the compounds indoles and isothiocyanates.
Cauliflower is a Cancer Fighting Food
According to the National Cancer Institute, indoles and isothiocyanates (in laboratory tests) have been found to inhibit the development of cancer, including breast, colon, lung, stomach, and bladder cancer.
- These compounds also have antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. (See my recipe that combines cauliflower with turmeric to reduce inflammation!)
- Cauliflower is a great source of good fiber – aiding digestion and helping you feel fuller, longer.
- Choose a head of cauliflower that’s firm and creamy white – no brown or yellow spots. Heads with green leaves typically indicate that they are fresh.
If you want a veggie that fights cancer and memory loss; that’s an anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial; that aids digestion, detoxification and brain health – then look no further than the mighty cauliflower!
Check out some of my favorite cauliflower recipes here.
Jump into spring – feeling your best!
You CAN look and feel better, have more energy, lose weight, and reduce or eliminate your food-related symptoms.
Learn more about my one-on-one coaching and how my clients succeeded even when they thought it would it would never happen for them. Find out how my clients learn to break unhealthy habits; stop “binging” and “emotional eating;” reduce cravings; sleep better; balance their blood sugar, reduce their cholesterol level and diabetes symptoms, and much, much more! I look forward to supporting you!